To read the current statistics on occupational fraud you can download your free copy of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Report to the Nations at their website.
Current Fraud Statistics
According to the ACFE 2016 Report to the Nations Global Study on Fraud and Abuse, this is how much your business could lose on average to FRAUD Per Year!
“The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners report that U.S. Businesses will lose an average of 5% of their gross revenues to fraud.”
It is reported that from the 2016 ACFE’s Report To The Nations that the small business ranks highest in occupational fraud frequency at 30.1% compared to large corporations, government and non-profits. The biggest contributing factor is the lack of internal controls.
PRIVATE COMPANIES WHICH INCLUDE SMALL BUSINESSES had a median loss of $180,000 and 37.7% of fraud frequency.
- The small businesses have ranked highest in fraud frequency from the ACFE’s report the nation from 2002 to 2016 with combined averages showing that the frequency of small businesses fraud is at 37.7% compared to larger organizations at a 20.85%. These statistics show that the small business owner does not have the proper tools or training to prevent fraud from occurring in their business.
- Corruption is the most common fraud scheme ranking at 29.9% of businesses with fewer than 100 employees and at 40.2% of frequency with organizations who have more than 100 employees.
- Billing Schemes are ranked as the second most common at 27.1% for organizations with fewer than 100 employees.
Common Methods of Fraud Schemes in Small Business
- Billing Schemes
- Wire Transfer Schemes
- Expense Reimbursement Schemes
- Register Disbursements
- Payroll Schemes
- Cash Larceny
- Check Tampering
- Inventory Theft
- Financial Statement Fraud
- Corruption Schemes